THE MOORISH AMERICAN INSTITUTE (MAI), founded in 197, is a 501(c)(3) non-profit education organization committed to build STEM/CS skills for youth self-control, socialization and business/college-preparation.
MAI’s Mission is: To teach the skills of self-control, socialization, and business and college-preparation.
MAI Programs are STEM/CS Activities and include Filmmaking, Reading and Writing, Chess, and Martial Arts (Kongfu, Fencing, Boxing). Students learn to be concentrate, visualize, to make decisions one step at a time, and to take responsibility for one’s every step. MAI programs are focused on under-serviced areas, such as Glenville and East Cleveland, Ohio with goals to avoid trouble and rise from poverty, and a model for expansion.
Our Work is based on the belief that the world is a better place with more educated people in it and we feel that our diverse programs are great paths that lead minds and feet along positive paths.
MAI Motto is: “Lunging for Education,” because we believe education is a path to progress and worth fighting for.
MAI relies on donations from the community and public to support our work. The Moorish American Institute is always going to be about Moorish Culture, especially sharing Moorish Culture, so that Moorish Culture spreads into homes, hearts, and minds. Education and the Free-sharing of education is part of the roots of Moorish Culture.
MAI Principles are based on living life responsibly and making life more meaningful, which we measure by significant contributions to family, community, and ultimately, the general society. To that end, The Moorish American Institute is always going to be about Moorish Culture, especially Freely-sharing education styles, so that Moorish Culture spreads into homes, hearts, and minds. We are proud to partake in the Moorish tradition of Free-Education.
MAI’s mission is to teach the skills of self-control, business and
college-preparation, and socialization.
MAI promotes simple, solid education with lasting real-world skills.
Help Us Lunge
Our Headmaster doesn't rest until we're all eating.
Even tired, we work. Even when the work is hard, we work and the work is never too hard. Maybe we just need a little more education, or some help. And good food makes everything better.
THE MOORISH AMERICAN INSTITUTE’S EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY
OVERVIEW & SCOPE
The Moorish American Institute of 816 Lakeview Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44108, has established an Anti-Discrimination and Equal Employment Opportunity Policy (“EEO”). This EEO policy applies to all aspects of the relationship between The Moorish American Institute and its employees, including, but not limited to, employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, hiring and firing, compensation, assignment, classification of employees, termination, upgrading, promotions, transfer, training, working conditions, wages and salary administration, and employee benefits and application of policies. These policies apply to independent contractors, temporary employees, all personnel working on the premises, and any other persons or firms doing business for or with The Moorish American Institute. Disciplinary action will be taken against any employee or agent in breach of this policy.
1. DISCRIMINATION. The Moorish American Institute shall not tolerate, under any
circumstances, without exception, any form of discrimination based on race, creed, religion, color, age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, parental status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, national origin, political affiliation, sex, predisposing genetic characteristics, and any other status protected by the law. This list is not exhaustive. Job promotions will be offered to employees based on merit, experience, and other job-related criteria. For qualified people with disabilities, The Moorish American Institute will make every effort to provide reasonable workplace accommodations that comply with applicable laws. All employees, managers, stakeholders, and agents at The Moorish American Institute will comply with these anti-discrimination policies. In some cases, local laws and regulations may provide greater protections than those described in this policy.
2. HARASSMENT. The Moorish American Institute is committed to providing a work environment that is free from harassment. Any behavior that is unwanted and offensive to the recipient, which creates an intimidating, hostile, or humiliating work environment for that person violates “The Moorish American Institute’s EEO Policy.” Harassment can occur between members of the opposite sex or the same sex. Harassment, verbal or non-verbal, explicit or implicit, based on an individual’s sex, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion or any other legally protected characteristics will not be tolerated. All employees, including supervisors, other management personnel, and independent contractors, are required to abide by this policy. No person will be adversely affected in employment with The Moorish American Institute as a result of bringing complaints of harassment.
3. SEXUAL HARASSMENT. Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitute harassment when (a) submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term, or condition of employment; (b) submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as a basis for employment decisions, promotion, transfer, selection for training, performance evaluations, benefits, or other terms and conditions
of employment; or (c) such conduct has the purpose, or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive work environment, or substantially interferes with an employee’s work performance. The Moorish American Institute prohibits inappropriate conduct that is sexual in nature at work, on Company business, or at Company-sponsored events including the following: comments, jokes, degrading language, sexually suggestive objects, books, or any form of media electronic, or in print form. Sexual harassment is prohibited whether it is between members of the opposite sex, or members of the same sex.
4. STATEMENT ON AFFIRMATIVE ACTION. An affirmative action program has been developed where The Moorish American Institute seeks to increase the representation and participation of “minorities.”
5. REPORTING DISCRIMINATION & HARASSMENT. If an employee feels that he, or she has been harassed as described in this policy, they should immediately report the matter to management, or to Kim Woodson EL through any verbal, or written means. If that contact is not available, or if the employee is not comfortable informing this contact, the employee should immediately inform any other Office-holder, board-member, manager, or supervisor. Once the matter has been reported, the matter will be promptly investigated. Any corrective action will be taken as deemed appropriate. All complaints, or unlawful harassment under this policy, or otherwise will be handled in as confidential a manner as possible. Timely reporting is encouraged to prevent the re-occurrence of, or otherwise address, the behavior that violates this policy or law. Delays in reporting a complaint can limit the type of effectiveness of a response by The Moorish American Institute. The procedure for reporting incidents of discriminatory, or harassing behavior is not intended to prevent the right of any employee to seek a remedy under available state, or federal law by immediately reporting the matter to the appropriate state, or federal agency.
6. RETALIATION. Retaliation against one associated with The Moorish American Institute who reports an instant of harassment, whether one is directly, or indirectly involved, is in violation of “The Moorish American Institute’s EEO.” All reported incidents are assumed to be made in good faith. Any allegations that are proven false will be treated as a serious matter.
7. DISCIPLINARY MEASURES FOR HARASSMENT. Staff-member, board-member, manager, supervisor, or employee engaging in behavior that violates “The Moorish American Institute’s EEO” will be subject to disciplinary action, including the possible termination of employment, whether or not an actual law has been violated.
8. TRAINING. All employees, supervisors, and management personnel will be required to attend mandatory anti-discrimination, anti-harassment, and/or anti-sexual harassment training of a kind as designated by The Moorish American Institute.
9. REMEDIES. Remedies for any instances of verified employment discrimination, whether caused intentionally, or by actions that have a discriminatory effect, may include back-pay, hiring, promotion, reinstatement, front-pay, reasonable accommodation, or other actions deemed appropriate by The Moorish American Institute. Remedies can also include payment of attorney’s fees, expert witness fees, court costs and other applicable legal fees.
10. POLICY IMPLEMENTATION. Implementation of this Policy will be effective as of October 1, 2016.
By: __Lonnie B. EL__________ Date: ___9-30-2016________ Lonnie B. EL, CEO/Headmaster
PUBLIC NOTICE TO CEASE AND DESIST
TO ALL THOSE USING THE NAME, THE MOORISH AMERICAN INSTITUTE, WHO ARE NOT
MOORISH AMERICAN INSTITUTE COUNSEL MEMBERS
Thank You All for your heart-felt interests and what must be genuine sincerity on the part of most. However, be herein and now WARNED that there is only one MOORISH AMERICAN INSTITUTE and that THE MOORISH AMERICAN INSTITUTE has always been right here in Cleveland, Ohio Country. Therefore, if you are associated with, or have received materials, lessons, or guidance from claimants outside of here, then you have not received such from The Moorish American Institute. Popular claimants online have even changed original publication’s images and wording.
Thus, to those few misleading the many and profiting off of us, Moorish Americans, Trustees, Officers, Members, Pupils, Partners, and Friends, THIS IS A FRIENDLY WARNING TO CEASE AND DESIST NOW. IF YOU DO NOT, LET’S NOT GO THERE AND BECOME FRIENDS, NO HARM DONE. HOWEVER, ALL THOSE UTILIZING THE MOORISH AMERICAN INSTITUTE NAME WILL HAVE PERMISSION FROM AND TAKE DIRECTION FROM THE OFFICERS, TRUSTEES, AND MEMBERS OF THE MOORISH AMERICAN INSTITUTE.
If you feel you have been duped, and would like to see older, original, and/or New Lessons, you need only fill out the form underneath. May you find the light. THE MORE I KNOW, THE MORE I CAN HELP.